Relieve Constipation Naturally With These Home Remedies
Relieving constipation with these natural treatments can give you much sought after relief for constipation.
Dietary causes such as:
Immobility Not getting enough exercise Hormonal changes, such as pregnancy. Hemorrhoids Anal fissure Iron tablets Hypothyroidism Eating meals too fast Tension Anxiety Depression Taking antibiotics Abusing laxatives Abuse of over-the-counter drugs such as cough medicine
- Insufficient fiber in diet.
- Inadequate fluid intake.
- A lack of Vitamins B1, B5, B6, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.
- Too much animal protein.
- Too many dairy products.
- Too much vinegar, pepper, salt, or spices.
What foods cause constipation?
Foods that cause constipation include: white flour, cheese, fried foods, sweets, salt, beef, pasteurized milk, all junk food, wine, carbonated drinks, and coffee. Certain berries with a large amount of seeds, such as strawberries, huckleberries, raspberries and blackberries, should be avoided, too, as they have a tendency to constipate.
Before looking at the constipation natural remedies, lets consider the symptoms of constipation. Here are some things you should be aware of:
- Pain during bowel movement
- Weight loss
- Furred tongue
- Loss of appetite nausea
- Fatigue and depression
Here are some home remedies for constipation that will help in relieving constipation:
LICORICE, MARSHMELLOW ROOT, RHUBARB ROOT, or SENNA LEAVES: Good herbs for relieving constipation. Can make a tea of one these herbs and drink or take capsules to enhance production of stools.(These herbs should not be used for longer than a week unless under medical supervision. Prolonged use may cause the bowels to lose the ability to move on their own.).(Not recommended for use by pregnant women.)
ELDERFLOWER: Drink an infusion of elderflower once daily, as needed. (Not recommended for use by pregnant women.)
CASCARA SAGRADA(California buckthorn): Take a 300 mg capsule in the early evening to stimulate a bowel movement in the morning. The laxative effect usually occurs 6 to 12 hours after cascara is taken. Excellent for relieving constipation. Should not be used for longer than 7 days in a row. (Not recommended for use by pregnant women.)
SLIPPERY ELM: Coats irritated digestive systems linings.
- SWEET MARJORAM, ROSEMARY, or FENNEL OIL: Diluted in grapeseed oil and massage into abdomen.
- BLACK PEPPER, MARJORAM, and ROSEMARY: Add one drop of each in a light carrier oil and massage into the abdominal area.
Vitamins and Minerals:
- B COMPLEX: B1 is the most effective in relieving constipation. Increase intake for chronic constipation; especially good for constipation due to use of antibiotics.
- OMEGA-3: Necessary for proper bowel functioning. It is soothing and coats the intestinal tract.
- FOLIC ACID: Take 60 mcg of folic acid daily. There are not dietary sources that contain enough, so supplements are necessary.
- Vitamin C: Helps digestion and absorption, so will help to alleviate anemia and in relieving constipation.
Traditional Constipation Natural Remedies:
*For toddler constipation cut back on the milk and add other liquids and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- FIBER: One of the best home remedies for relieving constipation. Increase daily intake, Fiber will add bulk to your stools, stimulate proper bowel contractions, and promote healthy bacteria in the colon. However, make sure you drink water, too, as the fiber will absorb water like a sponge and cause constipation.
- APPLES: Eat an hour after a meal to prevent constipation. Contain pectin which will add bulk to your stools and their cleansing action will encourage bowel movements. They have a laxative effect, so are very effective constipation natural remedies.
- APPLE CIDER VINEAGAR: As a fermented version of apples they have some of the same beneficial properties. Take two teaspoons twice a day with a glass of water.
- BANANAS: High in fiber and can help restore normal bowel function. Try eating two ripe bananas between meals. Avoid green bananas because they're constipating.
- ACIDOPHILUS: Enhances health of intestines and makes bowel movements more normal. Take yogurt containing live cultures, or whey, kefir or buttermilk to increase the presence of friendly bacteria. In place of these, acidophilus tablets or lactic acid yeast can also help in this process. It is recommended you use a good probiotic supplement to restore and maintain good intestinal flora.
- WATER: Increase daily intake of fluids to aid to helprelieve constipation. Coffee, tea and sodas do not count and can actually exacerbate constipation. Avoid ice-cold water as it can reduce the digestive process.
- BRAN: Take one tablespoon each of unprocessed wheat bran and wheat germ daily. Add it to cereal, soups, drinks, or other foods. Your body may initially have difficulty becoming accustomed to the extra fiber and you may experience gas or stomach distention. These problems will pass in a week or two. Start with a tablespoon of bran and increase the amount until you become regular. Drink plenty of liquid when you take bran as it absorbs eight times its own weight in water and needs fluid to work its magic. Your stool should become smooth and come at regular intervals. As side benefits, you may also get relief from cramps, abdominal pain, gas and heartburn.
- JUICE FASTING: Eliminate toxins from the body and gets various systems going again. Can be very effective in relieving constipation.
- FLAXSEED: Boil two cups of water and add two tablespoons of flaxseed; boil for fifteen minutes; strain off the flaxseed, leaving a jelly-like substance. Drink a cup of this on an empty stomach, adding one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Take daily until you get regular bowels. A similar remedy is to soak 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds in 6 ounces of water and drink this mixture once or twice daily. You can also eat three or four tablespoons of ground flaxseed daily. They can be mixed in a smoothie, put on salads, or mixed with cottage cheese.
- FLAXSEED OIL: Take 1 to 2 tablespoons with lots of water right after lunch or dinner.
- CARROT JUICE: Take juice several times daily. This will help regain proper digestion. This is good for children, too. The essential oils in carrot juice have an effect on the mucous membranes in the stomach and help get the bowels functioning properly.
- GARLIC: Soothes, cleanses and reduces inflammation. Garlic is also very rich in potassium which is essential for proper contractions of muscles, including the intestines. You can cook it or eat raw garlic in a salad or other food.
Garlic tablets are also effective and can be used by people who have problems digesting raw garlic. Take two tablets once or twice daily for mild cases, three times for bad cases, and up to five times daily for severe cases. The doses should be two grams each.
- HONEY: Has mild laxative properties. Start by taking a tablespoon three times a day or add to foods or drinks.
- MOLASSES: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons a day to hot cereal or mix with warm water and drink it for relieving constipation
- OLIVE OIL: Take one tablespoonful of extra virgin olive oil in the morning and one tablespoonful an hour after dinner.
- SUNFLOWER SEEDS: Promotes regularity. Take a handful of raw shelled, unsalted seeds every day.
If you are pregnant, please consult your doctor before trying any natural remedy.
- CAYENNE: One capsule of 40,000 HU after a meal. After taking the capsule, you will feel like you have heart burn; however it is normal to have that sensation while your body gets used to it.