Effective Migraine Headache Relief Remedies
Below are over 22 remedies for migraine headache relief. Find out which migraine headache treatments work best for you and what causes them.
Migraine Headache Causes:
They can be hereditary, and may be triggered by many factors; including stress, hormonal changes(around menopause, menstruation, and occasionally pregnancy), oral contraceptives, and foods that contain tyramine, an amino acid which affects the blood vessels.
Foods rich in tyramine include bananas, cheese, regular high fat chocolate, eggs, oranges, spinach, tomatoes, and wine.
Other triggers include changes or extremes in temperature, lighting, or noise levels.
Migraine Headache Symptoms:
- Moderate to severe pain, which may be confined to one side of the head or may affect both sides
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Head pain with a pulsating or throbbing quality
- Pain that worsens with physical activity
- Nausea with or without vomiting
Migraine Headache Treatments:
Below are some proven effective home remedies for migraine headach relief. Find the cure for migraine headache that works for you.
- Ginger: Add fresh ginger root to food, make ginger root tea, or try powdered ginger in capsules for migraine headache relief.
Ginger is a warming, stimulating herb especially good for circulation.
- FEVERFEW: A product that is considered one of the best migraine headache treatments. Take 2 or 3 small leaves between a little fresh bread daily to stave off attacks.
Can also take capsules.(*See note at bottom of page..Not to be taken in pregnancy..avoid giving to small children..do not take if using blood-thinning drugs..and chewing the leaf can cause mouth ulcers in some people, if this occurs, use the capsules).
- JAMAICAN DOGWOOD: Apply a warm compress with Jamaican dogwood to temples and forehead during an attack.
- BASIL: Reports show basil oil good for migraine headache relief.
Vaporizer Blend for Migraines-Add 3 drops basil, 4 drops lavender oil, and 3 drops of peppermint oil to a vaporizer. Relax in a dark room and inhale deeply.
- LAVENDER OIL: Make a compress by putting 5 drops of lavender essential oil in cold (or warm) water. Swish around a soft cloth, then put it on your head or neck for migraine headache relief. Can Also apply a dab of this neat(can be applied undiluted to the skin)oil at the base of your nostrils at the first signs of an attack. (Very gentle essential oil...but some hay fever or asthma suffers may be allergic)
- Peppermint or LAVENDER OILS: A good cure for a migraine headache. Lie down with a cool compress (Add 4-5 drops to a bowl of cool water. Soak a cotton cloth in the water. Wring out. ) on your forehead.
- MELISSA, ROSEMARY, or SWEET MARJORAM: Inhalations, baths, or massages can shorten the duration of attacks.
Vitamins and Minerals
- NUTRI-CALM: Great for migraine headache relief. Loaded with B vitamins. Designed to support the nervous system, especially when under stress. During times of stress, the body rapidly loses B vitamins. Nutri-Calm provides generous amounts of these nutrients in a base of herbs known to support optimal nervous system health.
- Vitamin C: Increase intake of vitamin C for migraine headache relief.
- VITAMIN E: Protects against free radicals, supports the circulatory and reproductive systems, as well as the liver, and maintains normal-range blood viscosity.
- EVENING PRIMROSE OIL: Studies have shown an increase in EVENING PRIMROSE OIL can decrease the frequency of migraine headaches.
- DARK CHOCOLATE:
Studies have shown that including dark chocolate, which is full of healthy antioxidants, as part of your daily diet may actually lower the frequency of migraines.
- Antioxidants: Increasing antioxidants in your diet can give you migraine headache relief and also help prevent migraine headaches. Found in fresh fruits and vegetables.
Traditional Home Remedies and Natural Solutions
Some very basic things can help prevent and or cure migraines:
- DONíT OVERSLEEP OR NAP
- DONíT WEAR STRONG PERFUME
- SLEEP AND SIT STRAIGHT
- WATCH YOUR CAFFEINE INTAKE
- DO SELF-MASSAGE and ACUPRESSURE: Squeeze the web between the forefinger and thumb. Use both thumbs to apply pressure under the bony ridges at the back of your neck. Massage temples in a forward circular motion
- DON'T TAKE TOO MANY PAINKILLERS: Many of the over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs work well for some people, but overuse of these drugs will just cause more pain. It's like scratching a rash...the more you scratch the more it itches.
*NOTE: If you are pregnant, please consult your doctor before trying any natural remedy.
**IMPORTANT: Headaches with associated features such as double vision, projectile vomiting, weakness, paralysis, vertigo, or one-sided deafness require immediate medical attention.
You may also be interested in:
Treating headaches naturally
Home remedies for headaches
Dealing with stress in your life